Bradley Kerstetter, Planning Director
Office location: Juniata County Courthouse, Bridge and Main Streets, Mifflintown
Postal address: P.O. Box 68, Mifflintown, PA 17059
Planning and Community Development Responsibilities
The Planning Department is responsible for:
- Carrying out the duties set forth in the Pennsylvania Municipalities Planning Code (PA Act 247 of 1968, as amended by PA act 170 of 1988)
- Providing staff assistance to the Juniata County Planning Commission
- Maintaining the Juniata County Comprehensive Plan
- Coordinating with other agencies in the areas of transportation, housing, economic development, solid waste and tourism
- Providing design guidance and reviewing subdivision and land development plans
- Helping guide public policy and land use decisions related to growth and development
- Providing assistance to the Counties’ Municipalities on a variety of issues and subjects
- Juniata County Description
- Plan Reviews
- Planning Commission
- Planning Commission Annual Reports
- Municipal Ordinances
- Comprehensive Plan
- Greenways, Open Space and Rural Recreation Plan
- Multi-Jurisdictional Hazard Mitigation Plan
- Webpage Links
- Planning Documents
- 2021 Planning Commission Meeting Dates
- Storm-Related Information
On March 27, 2020, the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act), Public Law 116-136 was signed into law to respond to the growing effects of the coronavirus public health crisis. The CARES Act provides special allocations to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania under the Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG), to be used to prevent, prepare for, and respond to the coronavirus, labeled as ESG-CV funding.
Juniata County intends on applying for ESG – CV funding to support Rapid Re-housing, Homeless Prevention, Short-Term Rental Assistance, and Administration Costs in the amount of $98,241.00. This project is a proactive approach to prevent and respond to individuals/families who are homeless or receiving homeless assistance and to support additional homeless assistance and homeless prevention activities to mitigate the impact(s) created by the coronavirus. This project addresses local needs while meeting the regional goals of the Eastern PA CoC including the use of a coordinated entry process. The Mifflin Juniata Human Services Department is the region’s CoC designated Coordinated Entry Access Site. This project systematically ensures the homeless crisis response system is easy to access, the needs of the homeless population are quickly identified and assesse, and priority decisions are based on those known needs. The project will use a Housing First approach and follow supplemental requirements of the CARES Act to prepare for, prevent the spread of and respond to the coronavirus.
All interested citizens are offered the opportunity to give public comment through written comments. Due to the Covid-19 pandemic in person comments are not being accepted at this time. Any citizen desiring to comment on the needs of Mifflin County and proposed ESG-CARES Act program activities, should submit written comments to the Mifflin Juniata County Human Services Department at 20 North Wayne Street, Lewistown, PA 17044 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Verbal comments will be received by calling 717-242-5452. Comments will be received until May 27, 2020 at 4:30 PM. The Juniata County Commissioners will be acting on the application on May 26th at 10:00 AM.
Draft 2021 SEDA-COG Transportation Program Notice
The SEDA-Council of Governments (SEDA-COG) Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) announces that its Draft Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) for Federal Fiscal Years 2021-2024 is available for public review.
The TIP and related documents as well as instructions on how to comment can be found HERE.
Flood Insurance is A Good Thing for Juniata County!
Many of us live in a floodplain in Juniata County. If you are a renter, homeowner or business owner, make sure you have flood insurance to cover your belongings and repair costs if a damaging flood should occur. To learn more, read about Flood Insurance.